The world is growing in technology, and for the most part, I love it. There are so many things we can do now that people years ago couldn’t do. Phones and tablets can replace cameras, calculators, and in most cases, older versions of the same technology.
What bothers me a lot, though, is that they can replace books.
I’ve heard my friends tell me that they’d rather download books on their tablets than go to the bookstore because it would save time and money. Is that really the better option? Some book lovers would cringe at the sound of that, and I’m one of them. I love to read books. My bedroom is filled with shelves packed full with books, totaling over 200.
I enjoy holding the book in my hand. I want to turn its pages. I want to read the front cover and the back cover, and see my progression through the movement of my bookmark.
That might not matter to some people, however, it can make all the difference to others. Using a book or using technology to read both have their pros and cons. Here is a list of things to think about before choosing one over the other.
- You can see your progression through the movement of your bookmark. Doing this will give you a better sense of accomplishment.You can read them anywhere.
- You don’t need to wait for wifi to download it.
- Your book is not going to need charging. You can read it as long as you’d like.
- Your tablet or phone has a built-in light: the screen. No more problems reading in the dark.
- You have a collection of books in one place: your device.
- E-books are often cheaper than book-books.
- Carrying multiple books with you takes up a lot of space in your bag.
- You can’t read it in the dark.
- If you want to buy the book immediately, you have to leave your house to get it.
- You can’t read your book if your tablet/ phone is dead.
- You can’t turn the pages. How far along are you? It’s not as easy to visualize.
- Looking at your tablet/phone screen for long amounts of time can hurt your eyes and keep you awake at night, whereas reading a book-book can be a good thing to do before bed.
There are good things and bad things about both books and technology. It’s really up to the individual to decide which one better suits them. It’s just scary to think that someday books might not be as popular or accessible due to people reading a book on a screen and not on a page. Just because something is more convenient for some should not ruin a good thing for all.